All About the Community of Shaler Township
Shaler Township is a township in Allegheny County in the Pennsylvania. Shaler consists primarily of the community of Glenshaw and it’s population at the 2012 census was 28,757.
History of Shaler Township
In the mid-18th century, Traders began to settle in the Shaler and in the early 1740’s George Crogham was the most prominent early trader to this area. Then in 1754, Pine Creek was a trading post, where most Europeans loved to trade their furs and skins with the Mingo and other Americans around the Ohio Valley. Girty’s Run, which was established by Simon Girty was the second early European settlement.
The village of Glenshaw, Pennsylvania—at the center of what became Shaler Township—was established in the early 19th century, beginning with a log sawmill built by John Shaw, Sr. after he bought 600 acres of land north of Pittsburgh in 1800. The area became known as “Shaw’s Glen”, and later Glenshaw. Members of the Shaw family subsequently built a log gristmill, sickle factory, and a coal mine.
On March 20, 1845, a petition to form a new township from portions of Indiana and Ross townships was presented to the Court of Quarter Sessions. James A. Gibson, Alexander V. Brackenridge and John Murray were appointed as viewers.
On June 10, 1845 they reported in favor of the court decree establishing the township was issued, in the name of Marion and on the same day it was changed to Shaler, after Charles Shaler, a prominent mid-19th century judge and president of the local 5th District Court decided this would be the new name for this area.
At the time of establishment, Shaler Township encompassed all of its current holdings plus the boroughs of Etna, Millvale and a large tract of the Township of Ross.
By 1868, Shaler Township lost much of its land to the new boroughs and in the 1900, Shaler became one of the early townships to be classified as a township of the first class. The township’s boundaries stayed basically the same today as they were in 1900.
Early settlement of the Shaler area was sporadic, with small farming and mercantile villages appearing. These mainly developed in the valleys next to Pine Creek and Girty’s Run. At the time of its incorporation, Shaler Township had a population of 2,000; by 1860 it had grown to 16,399. At the end of the 19th century, the creation of the Glenshaw Glass plant sped up settlement to a certain degree, drawing workers to settle in the vicinity.
From 1907 until 1931 the interurban Pittsburgh and Butler Street Railway passed through Shaler, linking it with Pittsburgh and Butler. After the Second World War Shaler became an affluent suburb with many former Pittsburgh residents now populating the Township. Shaler, together with Ross Township, was among the first outer-city areas to develop into the modern suburbs, which today define the North Hills Area of Allegheny County. Shaler remained and still remains a primarily residential municipality and it was during this period which the Township came to acquire the attributes it still holds today.
All information about Shaler Township courtesy of Wikipedia.