Pine Township Community North of Pittsburgh is a community in Allegheny county in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania and lies about 19 miles north of the city of Pittsburgh or better known as downtown. The population was 11,497 at the 2010 census.
Pine Township is known for its 105-acre Pine Community Park and one of the oldest Post-Villages in this part of the county, which was established in 1828. Farming was the sole occupation of the early settlers of Pine and the first school opened in the 1800 in the Francis Deery home. By the turn of the century, there were six churches in the township, withe oldest being Cross Roads Presbyterian which was established in 1827 and is still active today.
Pine Township was established in 1796. At this time included that part of Allegheny County Northof the Ohio and Allegheny Rivers and west of the bounday between The Jones and Cunningham districts. The original boarders comprised all of the eleven townships and parts of the others. In 1803, Ohio Township was established and Pine Township included districts that were situated in Allegheny County including all of Ross, Reserve, McCandless, Pine and Allegheny City; parts of Richland, Hampton and Shaler Townships. McCandless excluded, the area of the township was established at it’s current size of about 17 square miles.
Pine Township Racetrack
In 1860 the population was 1,021; in 1870, 718 and around 1880 the population was 773. Thomas Rodgers was the first known settler of Pine Township, he settled here in 1976. Samuel Beatty was also known to be one of the earlier settlers of Pine as well.
Business in Pine Township
Pine Township has experienced a recent boom in development of single family homes, condominiums, restaurants, a Giant Eagle Market District and other businesses in the Central Pine Business District located in the heart of The Village of Pine, with restaurants experiencing the greatest overall success. Although land and space is now limited in Pine Township. The Village of Pine is also instrumental in business, residential and community development. The community is served by many fine hotels.